Boston’s newly appointed top cop placed on leave – for ‘bogus’ allegations made DECADES ago


BOSTON, MA – Boston’s top cop, who was just sworn in on Monday, was placed on leave Wednesday after the mayor learned of domestic violence allegations made more than 20 years ago.

Mayor Marty Walsh said that “disturbing issues” were brought to his attention claiming new Police Commissioner Dennis White threatened to shoot his ex-wife, who was also a police officer, in 1999. White denied the allegations at the time, according to the newspaper.

City Council President Kim Janey, who will become acting mayor if Walsh is confirmed as President Biden’s labor secretary, called the allegations against White, “deeply concerning.”

White has been placed on leave while the city investigates the allegations. Walsh said the city’s legal team will consult with outside legal counsel to conduct an impartial investigation:

“Upon learning of these serious allegations, I immediately acted, placing the Commissioner on administrative leave, while corporation counsel engages outside counsel to conduct a full and impartial investigation.”

White was asked to fill the position left vacant by the unexpected retirement of former Commissioner William Gross, who retired Friday after serving in the department for 37 years. He served as commissioner for the last two and a half years.

Walsh claimed he was unaware of the domestic violence allegations when he asked White to step into the role:

“In an attempt to create a smooth transition and honor former Commissioner Gross’s desire to spend time with his family, Dennis White was asked to quickly step into the role of Police Commissioner, beginning last Friday.

These disturbing issues were not known to me or my staff but should have been at the forefront.

“Upon learning of these serious allegations, I immediately acted, placing the Commissioner on administrative leave, while corporation counsel engages outside counsel to conduct a full and impartial investigation.

In the interim, Superintendent-in-Chief Gregory Long will serve as acting Commissioner.”

According to the Boston Globe, White was accused of pushing and threatening to shoot his then-wife. On May 5, 1999, a judge issued a restraining order against White, ordering him to avoid contact with his wife and children, to vacate his home, and surrender his service weapon.

White’s then-wife wrote in her request for the restraining order:

“We argue a lot and he is always trying to push me down and I am afraid that he may come inside and kill me because he is angry.”

No charges were filed against White at the time, and he has denied the allegations.

White said at the time of his selection for the top post:

“To the community and all the members of the Boston Police Department, I pledge to uphold our mission of community policing each and every day. Serving as Commissioner is the honor of a lifetime, and I will never take this sacred duty for granted.”

Walsh said Superintendent-in-Chief Gregory Long will serve as acting commissioner until the investigation is completed.

After being sworn in Monday, White pledged to prioritize community engagement to build trust with citizens after a violent summer of racial justice demonstrations and the pandemic.

Prior to being appointed commissioner, White served as deputy superintendent in the Office of the Superintendent-in-Chief and the Bureau of Field Services Night Command before being promoted to Chief of Staff for Gross.

Upon announcing the selection of White to replace Gross, Walsh praised the veteran officer:

“Superintendent White is a proven leader who is trusted and respected in the community and by his colleagues in the Boston Police Department. I’m confident that Dennis will continue to advance the progress made by Commissioner Gross, including implementing community-led recommendations for police reform, while drawing on his own extensive career experience to bring fresh ideas and innovative thinking to the department.”

At White’s swearing-in ceremony on Monday, Walsh praised his service to the city:

“I am confident he will continue the Boston Police Department’s reputation as a leader in community policing and advance the department’s commitment to accountability and transparency and help lead the Boston Police Department into a new era.”

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Got him: Police arrest juvenile who they say torched a Boston police cruiser then tried to leave the country

January 16, 2021

BOSTON, MA- A juvenile wanted for setting a Boston police cruiser on fire during the “peaceful” protests that followed the death of George Floyd while in police custody was taken into custody in New York last month, according to police.

The Boston Globe reported the juvenile, whose name is being withheld due to his age, was trying to flee the country on a one-way international flight.

Authorities apprehended the juvenile when they discovered there was an outstanding arrest warrant for delinquency charges of arson of a motor vehicle and inciting a riot, the police statement read.

New England Cable News (NECN) reported authorities took the minor into custody in New York on Christmas Eve, however was only taken into Boston PD custody on Friday.

The juvenile is accused by Boston police with setting fire to a police vehicle outside the Beantown Pub on Tremont Street, according to Shandra Pinto, a police spokeswoman.

Police said that two Boston police officers had been dispatched to a call in the area of the Pub and parked their car out front. Shortly thereafter, several people vandalized the cruiser, breaking windows and then setting it on fire, NBC-4 reported.

The juvenile, who lives in Framingham, Massachusetts was initially arrested by the Boston Police Fire Investigation Unit and Framingham police in June however was later released, police said.

Officials from the Boston PD traveled to a New York juvenile detention center to take custody of the misguided youth and he is expected to be arraigned in Boston Juvenile Court.

The FBI was also involved in the investigation, having asked for help in identifying two people who were seen next to the burning vehicle.

The cruiser arson was one of several such incidents that occurred in Boston and around the country subsequent to Floyd’s death, which was initially blamed on Minneapolis police. 

However it was later determined to have been caused in part to a deadly mix of narcotics in his system, including Fentanyl. A Minneapolis officer was seen on video with his knee on Floyd’s neck, which set off the mob. As a result of the incident, four Minneapolis police officers were fired and subsequently arrested in connection with Floyd’s death.

In another incident of a cruiser being burned in Boston, police arrested 40-year-old Daniel Lucey for lighting a blanket on fire and placing it under a Boston police cruiser. He was charged with two counts of arson of a motor vehicle.

The two officers involved reported that they had been attacked by “peaceful” protesters, with one having his helmet damaged and body camera ripped off. Police said that some protesters did come to their defense, however one officer was repeatedly punched by multiple people.



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts