After explosives thrown at police, woman, 21, ordered to pay $45K in restitution for Portland riot damage


PORTLAND, OR- A woman has been ordered to hours of community service and repay $46,000 in restitution for her role in a September protest in which the Multnomah County Justice Center in Portland was damaged. 

The Associated Press (AP) reported that on Thursday, February 11th, the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office announced that 21-year-old Hannah Lilly plead guilty to criminal mischief and arson in connection with the events that took place on September 23, 2020.

On September 23rd, Portland police declared a riot and arrested 13 people as hundreds had gathered outside the Portland Police Bureau’s Central Precinct. Lilly also admitted to aiding and abetting 21-year-old Cyan Bass, who has been accused of setting fire to the Justice Center.

According to the District Attorney’s (DA) Office, sentencing for Lilly’s arson charge has not been completed yet. For the criminal mischief conviction, Lilly received a year and a half of probation, 120 hours of community service, and must pay $46,000 in restitution to Multnomah County.

In a statement, the DA wrote that while on probation, Lilly is prohibited from “attending any demonstration that is declared an unlawful assembly or riot.” The Oregonian reported that the DA’s office said in a statement:

“The resolution of this case takes into account Lilly’s culpability to the actual damage done to the Multnomah County Justice Center and Lill’s lack of criminal history prior to this incident.”

Bass is still facing both federal and local charges. He has plead not guilty a serious of charges and his trial is currently pending.  

Back in December 2020, a Multnomah County grand jury indicted 21-year-old Bass after he was accused of throwing a destructive device at a police officer during the protest that was taking place on September 23, 2020.

Bass was charged with two counts of first-degree arson, one count of fist-degree attempted arson, two counts of first-degree criminal mischief, one count of first-degree attempted assault, one count of unlawful possession of a destructive device, one count of riot, one count of attempted assault on a public safety officer, and one count of unlawful use of a weapon. 

During the events on September 23rd, three police officers were hurt and demonstrators threw several Molotov cocktails. One officer was hit with a Molotov cocktail while trying to disperse the group.

Another Molotov cocktail was thrown towards officers near SW 3rd Avenue and SW Main Street and later another Molotov cocktail was thrown near SW Broadway and SW Main Street. A Molotov cocktail was also thrown in the front of a police van and burst into a wall of flame.

The Portland Police Bureau said rocks where thrown at upper glass windows of the precinct while fireworks and glass bottles were thrown at officers. According to the DA’s office, that night police said:

“They saw Bass holding a crowbar and using a slingshot or wrist-rocket to shoot projectiles through the windows of the PPB Central Precinct portion of the building.”

Police also believe that Bass threw a destructive device, which did not explode, in the direction of a police officer. When police arrested Bass that night, they reportedly found marbles, a crowbar, a slingshot, two lighters, and a clear bottle with an unknown liquid in his possession.

Out of the 13 people arrested on the night of September 23rd, charges were filed against Bass and two other people. Joseph Sipe who was charged with one count of riot and one count of unlawful possession of a destructive device. 

Calvin Jackson was charged with one count of felony riot and one count of second-degree criminal mischief. He was also accused of throwing rocks at the windows of Central Precinct and breaking at least one window. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Protesters try to break down doors, break into Portland Police union building during negotiations

February 11th, 2021

PORTLAND, OR – On the evening of February 10th, protesters in Portland were said to have focused their ire against the Portland Police Association building – a building that has been targeted by protesters and rioters numerous times over the past several months.

The protest in question formed shortly after 5:00 p.m. that evening, which eventually led to some of the protesters attempting to break down the door of the Portland Police Association building.

It happened during union contract negotiations.

According to a Twitter post by Portland Police, they began monitoring the situation as it was developing:

“A protest has developed near North Lombard Street and North Campbell Avenue, where participants have tried to break down the door the Portland Police Association. We are monitoring the situation.”

Roughly two minutes after making the aforementioned announcement on Twitter, the Portland Police followed that up with details of the directions they broadcasting over loudspeaker to protesters at the scene:

“To those participating in the protest, this direction is being given over loudspeaker: stay on the sidewalk, do not try to break into the building or violate any other laws. If you do you’re subject to arrest and/or use of force including less lethal weapons.”

While there was the purported attempted break-in of the police union building, the Portland Police announced at roughly two hours after the protest had formed that the protesters left the area and that no arrests were made:

“All protesters have left the neighborhood. There was some vandalism to the building, but no arrests were made, no force was used, and no one was injured. About 15 officers, 3 sergeants, and 1 lieutenant were pulled from patrol duties to respond to the event.”

What’s concerning in all this is actually the lack of any arrests from this incident if there were indeed attempts to break into the Portland Police Association building.

Because the potential message this sends is that certain crimes are essentially acceptable so long as they occur alongside or form from within a protest.

As mentioned earlier, protesters and rioters in Portland have set their sights on the police union building several times during these sorts of demonstrations that have frequently turned riotous and violent.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Back in December, we at Law Enforcement Today reported on how the Portland Police Association building played host to an erected guillotine placed atop the building – along with signage demanding the abolishment of the police union.

Here’s that previous report.


PORTLAND, OR – We have heard chants and threats by members of Black Lives Matter and Antifa about defunding or abolishing the police, especially in Portland, Oregon. 

We’ve also heard chants like, “What do we want?  Dead Pigs!  When do we want it?  Now!”

Or how about, “Pigs in a blanket, fry ’em like bacon!”

Angela Henderson

Anti-police groups in Portland on Tuesday made their wishes — demands, rather — even more obvious by hoisting a guillotine to the top of the Portland Police Association building at 1868 N. Lombard St., north of downtown.

Angela Henderson

The building for months has been a focal point for demonstrators. Since June, the stand alone has been the target of vandals, who have broken windows, sprayed graffiti and damaged it otherwise.

On the night of Aug. 25, a riot was declared after protestors marched to the building while chanting “burn it down” and attempted to do just that. Police reported that at least two fires were set on and around the structure.

At least 25 people were arrested during the incident.  The conservative news site Hotair reported:

“The group, roughly 300 people, began a march from Arbor Lodge Park at North Delaware Avenue and North Bryant Street about 9:30 p.m. They walked north directly to the Portland Police Association Building in the 1800 block of North Lombard Street.

“Among other things, the crowd chanted “burn it down.” Many in the crowd carried shields, wore helmets, gas masks, and body armor.

“Within minutes of the crowd arriving, people were seen going to the back of the building. Power to the building was cut and flames were seen shooting up the side of the building.

“The PPA office is located on the edge of a residential area with wood-frame houses. Dry summer weather exacerbated the fire danger. Due to the extreme life safety concerns, the incident commander determined that it was a riot.

“The urgency to extinguish the fire was extreme. Someone in the crowd appeared to pour some kind of accelerant on it as the fire exploded rapidly.”

With the riot declared, police pushed the crowd away from the building. But as soon as the police retreated, the mob returned and tried again:

“Almost immediately people began to return. Chain link fencing was pulled into roadway to block traffic. Another fire was lit in the middle of the street.

“At 11:30 p.m., some individuals lit two fires on the north side of the building, including the awning over the main entrance…

“As officers tried to disengage again, people with “press” printed on their outer clothing were seen throwing rocks at them. A rock struck the windshield of their transport vehicle, cracking the glass.”

On the night of Oct. 20, Portland police reported that at least 75 protesters marched toward the PPA office with “support vehicles” in tow, before setting fire to a nearby billboard.

The billboard reportedly read, “WAKE UP AMERICA!” and “THANK YOU PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU,” before it was engulfed in flames, according to Sergio Olmos, a reporter with Oregon Public Broadcasting.

Back to the recent activity at the building, quite a lot of information may be gleaned from a Twitter group called the “45th parallel absurdist brigade,” which claims to be a “press collective in PDX.”

The group posted about Tuesday’s incident:

“Marking ~200 days since the start of the #PortlandProtests  against racist policing, last night persons unknown affixed a guillotine to the roof of the Portland Police Association building in N. Portland, and hung a banner marked with the reading ‘Abolish PPA – BLM – Night 200’”

Another message told of the history of the Portland Police Association, but without verifying or clarifying the statements:

“The PPA itself is the oldest extant police union, & established the legal precedent of Qualified Immunity, which prevents officers from being held liable for killings on duty. Their contract was the first to mandate that officers not be interrogated for 48 hours after a shooting.”

One of the group’s messages went on to explain the history of Antifa’s “three arrows” symbol:

“The three arrows emblem on the banner is an antifascist symbol originating w/ street militants who fought the rise of the Nazi party in 1930s Germany. The first president of the PPA, Otto Meiners, was active in the German American Bund until it was banned at the outbreak of WW2.”

Again, there is no verification or clarification for these claims by the “45th parallel absurdist brigade.”

The PPA building is a stark, boarded-up survivor of mindless violence, standing alone against countless physical assaults in an angry city.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts