Developing: Active shooter takes child hostage. SWAT destroys bad guy.


Fort Worth Police have confirmed that a suspect in an active shooter/hostage situation has been eliminated by a SWAT officer.

Police responded to calls of an active shooter in the 2900 block of Broadmoor Drive in Fort Worth, Texas. As officers arrived on scene, the suspect immediately opened fire from the third floor of an apartment complex.

Three other people were inside the apartment during the situation, including at least one child. At one point, the gunman was using a child as a shield from officers attempting to return fire.

The gunman continued firing at officers until Fort Worth SWART arrived. The response team entered the apartment and opened fire on the suspect, who was seen being transported in an ambulance. Police confirmed shortly after at a news conference that the suspect had died from their wounds. The shooter’s identity has yet to be released.

FWPD stated that no hostages, officers or bystanders were injured in the shootout.

This is a developing story. LET will provide updates as they become available.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity

Also today… we lost a brother in a deadly shooting in Arkansas.

State Police say one person was wounded and two people, including a Stone County sheriff’s deputy, were killed Thursday.

It happened around 9:30 a.m.  in the southwest part of the county – close to the Van Buren County line.

Special agents with ASP’s Criminal Investigation Division are currently investigating.

Here’s what we know so far.  ASP Public Information Specialist Bill Sadler said there was a call around 8 a.m. at a residence on Flag Road, which is about 17 miles southwest of Mountain View.

The call, which was a domestic check, was responded to by Deputy Mike Stephen took the call.

Deputy Stephen arrived at 8:39 a.m. – that’s when he encountered a female.  Shortly after, gunfire broke out and Deputy Stephen was killed at the scene.

The suspect was also killed.  A third person, who was said to have been talking to Deputy Stephen, was injured.

Deputy Stephen’s body has been sent along with forensic evidence to the Arkansas State Crime Lab.

Chief Deputy Zach Alexander shared thoughts about Deputy Stephen, who was a 20-year law enforcement veteran and U.S. Army veteran.

The 56-year-old veteran was a patrol sergeant who served his community well, and according to the chief was willing to help people.

His service didn’t end there.  Deputy Stephen was also the fire chief of the Pineville Fire Service.  The chief said the department will miss Stephen’s leadership.

In the meantime, there was absolute chaos in Alabama on Wednesday, with three officer-involved shootings in less than five hours.

The latest was in Gardendale, where a man was shot and wounded.

That incident started just after 11 p.m. at the rear entrance to First Baptist Church.

According to ALEA State Bureau of Investigation Lt. Jon Riley, a Gardendale officer was called to the church parking lot to investigate a report of a suspicious vehicle.

When he got there, he found four people standing outside of the vehicle.  One of them was armed with a gun.

That man, according to police, jumped into a vehicle and then tried to run over the officer – who opened fire at the vehicle.

That suspect crashed a short distance away on Mt. Olive Road at Mountain Crest Parkway.

The suspect was found injured and rushed to UAB Hospital’s Trauma Center.

We don’t know how badly he was injured – but the officer was not hurt.  It does appear he was shot by the officer.

In the meantime, the other three people that were standing outside the vehicle with the suspect are being questioned by agents.

None of them were in the vehicle with the suspect when he fled.

The SBI is leading the investigation into the officer-involved shooting, but Gardendale police will be handling any charges against the suspects involved.

That shooting happened less than five hours after a dramatic shootout between Birmingham police and a robbery suspect in downtown Birmingham.

It started around 6:30 p.m. in downtown Birmingham Wednesday evening, and left an officer severely injured and a man suspected of robbing a downtown supermarket dead.

North Precinct officers were dispatched to a robbery in progress at the Family Supermarket, which is a family grocery store on 23rd Street North.

According to Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith, when police arrived they saw the suspect leaving the store and tried to stop him.

He then pulled out a handgun and opened fire, shooting Officer Cullen Stafford multiple times.

Smith says Stafford was rushed to a hospital by fellow officers, who were also met with gunfire upon arrival.

The shootout took place over at least five city blocks in a number of different locations, finally ending when police killed the suspect.

Stafford was hospitalized and was out of surgery by 10 p.m. – which was just two hours before his 36th birthday.

According to Sgt. Johnny Williams, the surgery went well – but Stafford will need several more surgeries.

The police chief says a second officer was also hurt in a fall, but is expected to be just fine.

Officer Cullen Stafford in 2017
Officer Cullen Stafford in 2017

According to, Stafford and another officer were seriously injured in June 2017 when fleeing homicide suspects crashed into their patrol cruiser.

The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, continued to fire at police and ultimately was killed in their return fire.

“It’s very difficult for everyone, but this is a very tough job,’’ Smith said.  “We have officers who are here who we’ve provided a lot of training to, a lot of support. We’re going to continue support them throughout this process, just like we did throughout the time we lost Sgt. Carter.”


He said thanks to training, the officers involved were able to keep things from being much worse.

“The Birmingham Police Department is out here working for you,’’ the chief said. “We’re going to do everything we can to make this city safe. Our officers are dedicated, and you can see just in the sheer actions that we’re not taking this for granted. Birmingham is going to be a much better place in the future.”

He also had a message for criminals:

“Our officers our out here to do a job and we’re going to take care of the problems and circumstances we encounter.”


And in yet another incident on Wednesday night, a Birmingham police officer had to open fire after witnessing a gun battle while on patrol.


The officer was on patrol near the Southtown Court public housing community on the 2300 block of 9th Avenue South around 10 p.m.

That’s when he saw two groups shooting at each, according to Birmingham police spokesman Sgt. Johnny Williams.

“He did return fire into the gun battle, but it’s unclear whether he struck someone,” Williams said.

The spokesman added that the state Bureau of Investigation has been called to assist in the case. That happens whenever an officer fires their weapon.

Williams said one person was hit during the shooting.

“We’re not sure who struck that person or if they were already injured. We believe they were already injured when the officer arrived on the scene,” Williams said.

He added that the person was removed from the scene before the officer arrived and taken to a hospital in a private vehicle.




Related Posts