21-year-old who crashed stolen car while in possession of a loaded handgun, released on $750 bond gets rearrested three weeks later



SILVER SPRING, MD- According to reports, a man who was arrested for crashing a stolen vehicle while fleeing from police while in possession of a loaded handgun and illegal drugs, including PCP, and who was released from jail on a $750 bond, was re-arrested and re-booked for a burglary less than three weeks later.

Reports indicate that shortly after 7:30 p.m. on Monday, December 13, 2021, a Montgomery County Police officer spotted a Honda Accord traveling along Kennett Street in downtown Silver Spring with burnt-out tail lights.

The officer activated his emergency lights to pull the driver over, however, the driver did not stop.

Instead, the driver of the Honda Accord turned onto Georgia Avenue and stepped on the gas, accelerating his speed.

The officer pursued, trying to get his eyes on the vehicle’s license plate number.

When the Honda reached the intersection of Georgia and Silver Spring Avenues, the driver lost control and crashed into a concrete wall, causing significant property damage.

The driver of the Honda, later identified as 21-year-old Malick Sebo of Silver Spring, allegedly climbed into the passenger seat, opened the front passenger door and fled on foot.

The lone officer chased Sebo for a few city blocks, at one point losing sight of him. 

According to the charging documents, police wrote:

“When the [officer] regained sight of Sebo, the [officer] clearly observed a black handgun on the ground in close proximity to Sebo. The [officer] then observed Sebo stumble over the curb and fall onto the ground.”

Officers reportedly arrested Sebo and transported him to the third district police station in Silver Spring.

Detectives with the Firearm Investigative Unit conducted a recorded interview with the 21-year-old suspect.  During that conversation, Sebo reportedly told detectives that he knew his tail lights were not operating correctly and that he did not pull over for police because he had a loaded handgun on him.

Officers ran the temporary tag on the Honda that Sebo crashed and it came back registered to a 2017 Mazda. A search of the Honda’s VIN number revealed that the car had been reported stolen from an address in Washington, D.C.

Police had the Honda towed to the third district station where they found a large glass vial of PCP, four grams of marijuana, and an empty gallon-sized, vacuum sealed bag with marijuana residue.

A search of Sebo’s wallet recovered five Oxycodone pills. In their statement of charges, police wrote:

21-year-old who crashed stolen car while in possession of a loaded handgun, released on 0 bond gets rearrested three weeks later

“Oxycodone is a commonly abused and sold prescription pill based on the writer’s training and knowledge.”

According to police, the handgun found on Sebo was an unregistered Glock 22. It had one bullet in the chamber, 12 additional bullets in the extended magazine, and a mounted laser. 

Police charged Sebo with eight criminal counts including the unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, drug possession, and weapons charges.

Less than 10 hours later, a Montgomery County District Court commissioner provided Sebo with a $7,500 bond. 

The conditions of the bond stated that Sebo needed to post 10 percent ($750) in “cash or other collateral security” for release.

He then provided the court with a check for $750 and a few hours later he was let go. 

Then, 16 days after crashing the stolen Honda, on Wednesday, December 29, 2021, Sebo was arrested by Prince George’s County Police.

Around 8 a.m. on the 29th, someone called 911 to report two individuals had broken into a sixth-floor apartment at 2400 Queens Chapel Road in Hyattsville. 

According to court documents, police wrote that as officers walked into the building elevator, they saw Sebo exit the elevator with a “very large bag” and a “money counter machine in his hand.” Police were able to locate the second suspect in the sixth-floor unit.

While interviewing Sebo and his alleged accomplice in the apartment complex parking lot, police determined that the Mercedes Benz they had arrived in had recently been reported stolen in Bowie. Police also found “two sets of keys” to the stolen Mercedes and “several credit cards” in Sebo’s jacket pocket.

Charging documents revealed:

“The stolen Mercedes was searched prior to being impounded. [Officers] discovered a loaded Glock 36 handgun un a Louis Vuitton shopping bag under the driver’s seat. [Officers] also discovered several blank checks and several credit cards and black tax return checks.”

Prince George’s County police arrested Sebo and charged him with fourth-degree burglary. Despite the back-to-back arrests, a Prince George’s County District Count commissioner granted Sebo a $2,000 bond.

The conditions stated that Sebo had to post 100 percent, which records show, he did the exact same day. 

Sebo now faces up to 24 years in prison in the Montgomery County stolen vehicle case and an undisclosed number of years in prison in the Prince George’s County burglary case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Chicago violent offender on bail for repeated felony gun offenses arrested for seventh time

January 5th, 2022

CHICAGO, IL – Violent criminal Damien Stewart faces a seventh felony gun charge after Democrat-controlled Chicago released him six times on previous felony gun charges, each conviction receiving a lesser sentence than the previous one.

Stewart found himself in a familiar place on Friday after prosecutors charged him with Class X armed habitual criminal, possessing an extended ammunition magazine, leaving the scene, failure to report as a gun offender, and filing a false police report.

Stewart had become an expert in avoiding jail time, aided by liberal judges in Cook County, which includes Chicago. Entering a plea bargain for his sixth gun charge, Stewart managed to receive a lesser sentence than he did for his fourth and fifth convictions and avoided any jail time.

One of the reasons attributed to the rapid release of criminals like Stewart was the COVID-19 shutdown of the justice system, when speedy trials became impossible. Once the courts reopened, prosecutors began pushing cases through to clear a backlog.

21-year-old who crashed stolen car while in possession of a loaded handgun, released on 0 bond gets rearrested three weeks later

Cook County’s First State’s Attorney’s Risa Lanier, one of the architects of Jussie Smollet’s plea deal which initially gave the former Empire star a “get out of jail free” card, said the office encouraged prosecutors to enter plea deals:

“What I told [prosecutors] to do was just to take a look at your cases, and make appropriate offers based upon your evidence and based upon the law, based upon your conversations with your victims.

“So, I was not telling anyone to, you know, to give away the candy store or make any sweetheart deals, we want to ensure that the work that we’re doing that we’re continuing to do it with integrity, despite the circumstances that we’re under, but we do empower our (assistants) to look at their cases and to use their discretion.”

Stewart was able to take advantage of the rush.

In 2019, he was charged with Class X armed habitual criminal, two counts of unlawful use of a weapon by a felon with previous convictions, ten counts of aggravated battery of police, aggravated assault of a peace officer by using a firearm, and DUI.

On May 6, Cook County prosecutors dropped most of the charges. Stewart had entered a plea deal reducing all the charges to a single count of being a felon in possession of a firearm with a previous conviction.

Remarkably, prosecutors then agreed to reduce the final charge to a Class 4 aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, the lowest felony grade in Illinois.

Judge James Linn sentenced Stewart to three years instead of the six to 30 years in prison he could have faced with the original charges. The lesser sentence from the judge was then reduced to no jail time after electronic monitoring time was credited.

State records show Stewart received a five-year sentence in 2015 for his fifth gun conviction, six years in 2010 for his fourth gun, three years for his third in 2009, and two years each for his first and second guns in 2008.

Despite using the liberal justice system in place in the city to escape justice time and again, his luck ran out on New Year’s Eve.

While still on parole for the other offenses, Stewart allegedly fled from police, who said they saw a gun in his vehicle during a traffic stop. After his arrest, he was taken in front of Judge Mary Marubio, a rare Democrat who believes in law and order and the rule of law.

Judge Marubio set bail at $250,000. The judge also ordered Stewart held without bail until a review of his parole status, taking the new allegations under consideration.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Welcome to Chicago: “Unnamed suspect” convicted of murdering teen sentenced to probation, not prison

December 15, 2021


COOK COUNTY, IL – A 17-year-old unnamed suspect pled guilty to stabbing and murdering a 15-year-old boy in open court in Cook County, Illinois.

Instead of a fair judgment in the case, the judge sentenced him to three years of probation and community service…for murder.

The unbelievable sentence was passed down to a defendant who the Cook County Circuit Judge Steven Bernstein ordered cannot be named, even though he is now a convicted murderer.

Bernstein sentenced the murderer to a total of three years of probation and 100 hours of community service for taking a life.

Elizabeth Valdez, the sister of the 15-year-old victim, Elias Valdez, spoke about the prison sentence. She said:

“If it was the other way around, if my brother had killed him, my brother would have gone to prison for a lot of years. We just think it’s racist. He should be in jail. We’ve been struggling a lot.”

The Cook County State Attorneys’ office spoke about the sentence and said that it was handed down by Bernstein because he accepted a plea deal for second-degree murder.

They also noted that since the murderer was charged only as a juvenile, Bernstein could have sentenced him to anything from probation to an “indeterminate commitment to the Illinois Department of Juvenile Justice.”

According to homicide detectives, Valdez and the murderer knew each other as they went to the same school, Glenbrook South High. Valdez contacted the murderer in an attempt to purchase marijuana from him.


Instead of paying for the marijuana that he purchased from the murderer, Valdez instead took the drugs and ran.

The murderer chased Valdez down and the two began physically fighting before the murderer pulled out a utility tool with a sharp blade and began stabbing Valdez and then ran from the scene.

Valdez was found on a parkway in the 1200 block of Greenwood Road with stab wounds to his chest. Paramedics responded to the scene and transported him to the Advocate Lutheran General Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

The murderer turned himself in to police the following day and was taken into custody for the murder. The murderer’s attorney, David Kerstien, tried to argue that his client was nothing more than a kid who was a “ninety-seven-pound weakling.” Kerstien said:

“My guy [the murderer] was being body slammed into the concrete at least six to eight times. Ultimately he was able to extricate this tool type thing, kind of a utility type instrument. It was like a one out of a million shot this would kill him but it did.”

Elizabeth and her family were disgusted not only by the verdict but the charge that was levied against the murderer upon his initial arrest.

The family wanted the murderer held without bond and charged with first-degree murder, however, were shocked when he was released on home detention while the court case made its way through the system.

Some argue the second-degree murder charge would be more appropriate, considering first-degree murder in most states requires there to be some type of intent behind the attack that killed the person.

By Illinois State law, for it to be first-degree murder, the suspect would have had to intend to kill Elias.

Prosecutors would have most likely had a difficult time arguing that the murderer intended for the killing to happen under the circumstances, which is why second-degree murder was the more appropriate charge.

However, sentencing a murderer to probation and community service is a travesty of justice, some say.

Elizabeth spoke of the effect that Valdez’s loss is specifically on their mother. She said:

“It’s [the murder] still hard for all of us, especially for my Mum. She says she thinks of my brother every hour. She just thinks it’s not fair. He killed my brother and all he gets is probation for three years.”

Valdez’s mother, Marcela Fierros, did have the chance for the judge to hear her thoughts at the sentencing hearing. Through a family friend, her victim impact statement was read in court:

“It is unbelievable that a drug dealer murders my son with a knife and that he only gets probation.”



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts