Young mom, 19, shot in the chest and killed just five weeks after giving birth


HOUSTON, TX– During a domestic dispute, a 19-year-old new mother was shot in the chest and killed.

The victim, since identified as Maylaysia Levy, was pronounced dead at the scene. According to police, the incident happened in the 3300 block of Alice Street on August 8th. Officers and firefighters responded to the shooting call at 10:12 p.m.

When officers arrived on scene, a family member was performing CPR on Levy. She had suffered a single gunshot wound to the neck. The suspect, Antwon Norman, 18, was arrested and has been charged with manslaughter.

He has since been released on a $30,000 bond. Levy’s mother, Quiniecesha said that Norman is the father of their six-week old daughter, A’zaria. Houston police said that they are not sure what led up to the shooting, but witnesses have told them it was an accident.

Levy’s mother does not believe that is accurate. She said:

“In my opinion, he was using her and he was manipulating her and she was weak because she loved him and she wanted her daughter to have a family.”

Her mother continued to describe their relationship as toxic. She said:

“I warned her. I told her over and over. I did everything. I begged her to leave him alone. Just leave him alone.”

She added:

“When someone shows you that they don’t care about you and they don’t love you, believe them.”

Quiniecesha said that Levy graduated from Thurgood Marshall High School in 2019 and had planned on becoming a makeup artist.

In another incident, an 18-year-old girl who was pregnant, was found shot to death in a northwest Houston motel room. Houston Police said that they received information that someone was shot to death inside a room at the HomeTowne Studios in the 5900 block of Guhn Road near Highway 290 and Tidwell.

According to investigators, a man flagged down an officer at the Tinseltown movie theater and told the officer that there was a woman who had been shot multiple times in room 239. Officers then conducted a welfare check and found the woman.

When officers arrived on scene, the confirmed that the victim was shot in the face, the shoulder, and the leg.

The victim, Patra Perkins was identified by family members. Perkin’s mother said that she woke up to the news that her daughter had been shot and killed. A photo of Justin Herron, 31, was released. He is Perkin’s boyfriend, the father of her unborn child, and a person of interest in her death.

Herron, who rented the motel room on Friday and booked it through August 9th, has a lengthy criminal background, and was out on bond for driving a stolen vehicle and leading police on a chase last July.

Patricia Perkins, Patra’s mother said:

“She didn’t do anything to anybody. She was kind to every single person. It’s just, I don’t understand.”

According to Patricia, Patra was days away from her birthday and about a month away from the due date of her first baby. She said:

“She was really excited. She picked out his name. We were planning his shower.”

Herron was booked into the Harris County Jail after being arrested in New Mexico on August 10th. Herron is charged with capital murder for also killing Patra’s unborn child. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here is another article from Law Enforcement Today about a pregnant woman from Maryland who was shot and killed. Her baby was delivered prematurely and is in critical condition:

COLUMBIA, MD – A fatal shooting of a 30-year-old woman that was pregnant on July 31st has shocked a community in Maryland but is also leaving investigators wondering if the deceased victim was even the intended target for the shooting.

Rabiah Ahmad was 28 weeks pregnant at the time of her death, and while her baby was delivered prematurely after the shooting, the baby is said to be in critical condition at this time.

Authorities in Howard County say that the shooting took place while Ahmad was inside of a residence in Columbia, and that the fatal bullets were fired into the back of the house she was in.

Police noted that while there are no suspects yet in custody or identified, they’re questioning whether Ahmad was even the intended target. Apparently, there were numerous people inside of the home when Ahmad was killed, according to Howard County police spokesman Seth Hoffman:

“There were other people in the house who were unrelated to the victim, so police don’t know right now what the circumstances are, who may have been targeted inside the house or around the house. They’re trying to talk to as many people as (they can).”

The investigation is still ongoing, and there’s currently a reward of $5,000 being offered in exchange for information that can lead to an arrest and conviction in this case.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today to receive updates on this story, as it is a developing case.

This is just the latest in instances of a pregnant woman being shot. 

Reports coming from Philadelphia say that two women, one of whom is pregnant, were non-fatally shot on the evening of July 22nd while in the backseat of a vehicle with an infant beside them.

The shooting was said to have occurred at around 10:00 p.m. near 2nd and Ontario, when a gunman opened fire on the vehicle unleashing approximately 16 bullets. Luckily the infant was not struck by any gunfire, nor was the man driving the vehicle.

Police say that the driver was able to flee from the scene where the bullets were unleashed. As for the two victims, the 25-year-old pregnant woman is currently being treated for a gunshot wound to the arm and the 27-year-old woman was reported as being treated for multiple gunshot wounds.

However, both victims were cited as being in stable condition.

Authorities believe that the victims may know who the gunman was, as the woman happened to be in the area picking up some personal belongings. Police are hoping that surveillance video around the area could assist with the investigation.

This is a developing story, please follow Law Enforcement Today to get the latest on this investigation.

The shooting of this pregnant woman marks the second time in the month of July that a someone with child was shot within Philadelphia. Days earlier, on July 16th, 25-year-old Shaliayah Davis was shot in the head while she was 4-months pregnant. 

Police say that a man had opened the door of a 2011 Ford Escape that was parked along the 2500 block of West Berks Street  when he shot Davis . 

First responders rushed to the scene, and transported the young woman to Temple University Hospital. Unfortunately, neither Davis nor her unborn child could be saved. 

Investigators believe that the young woman was not the intended victim, as they think Davis’ boyfriend may have been whom the gunman was targeting. The victim’s boyfriend had chased the gunman down the street after the fatal shooting. 

Deputy Commissioner Benjamin Naish stated that Davis’ boyfriend appeared to have opened fire at the male assailant: 

“He was chased by another individual and as a result of some video that we recovered it appears that the second individual may have been firing shots or at least chasing the original shooter with a gun.”

There have been no arrests made in the case yet, according to police. 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts